Kepler’s Literary Foundation in Menlo Park, CA has an opening for an Event Manager with a strong background in event marketing. Kepler’s Literary Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit arts organization producing over 200 literary events each year hosting top writers and thinkers, including Margaret Atwood, George RR Martin, Al Gore, Amy Tan, Khaled Hosseini and John Green. As we expand our programming, we’re looking for someone to bring a passion for ideas, culture, and current events to a leading San Francisco Bay Area literary and cultural events producer.
Event Managers report to the Executive Director and work at our office in downtown Menlo Park, Monday through Friday, including evening events. Compensation range is $18 to $24 per hour -- part time to full-time, depending on background and experience. Benefits include paid-time off and generous discounts on books, magazines, and gift items purchased at Kepler’s Books.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Become expert at paid advertising through social media channels
- Write engaging and creative event copy to be used on the website, in ads and promotional materials.
- Promote and advertise events through social and traditional media
- Research and implement marketing outreach to community partners
- Track marketing results regularly to improve marketing outreach
- Manage and write weekly/biweekly e-mail newsletters
- Build and maintain relationships with local press
- Work with the team to research writers and speakers with an eye toward creating unique, interesting, and well-attended events.
- Develop and maintain relationships with potential speakers, authors, interviewers and panelists.
Event Production and Hosting
- Work with team to manage event logistics, staffing, venue and AV setup.
- Work with team to write and deliver on-stage introductions and facilitate question and answer sessions with audiences ranging from 100 to 1,500 people.
- Work with team to ensure a seamless experience for speakers and audience.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Strong background in marketing with event marketing a plus
- Experience in paid advertising on social media platforms
- Experience designing and managing events, ideally in a cultural, arts, or literary organization
- Exceptional writing, problem solving and organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Comfortable working in a collaborative fast-paced team environment.
- Strong interest in working in the nonprofit sector, creating programs that align with our mission
- Comfortable with public speaking and exceptional people skills in a public facing position
- Connections to the Bay Area literary and cultural community is a plus
How to Apply
Applications must include a resume and cover letter, which should address the following questions:
- Tell us about an exceptional literary or cultural event you’ve attended and why you found it exceptional
- How does your experience prepare you for this position and in what aspects of the job do you think you would excel?
- Where do you see yourself having the opportunity to learn and grow in this position?
- Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Marketing/Event Manager “ in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
About Kepler’s Literary Foundation